Friday, March 25, 2011

I Stopped Should-ing on Myself

Right now I should be at the gym. On the stairmaster. Step after step, sweat dripping down my fair-winter complexion. Instead, I've chosen to eat a vanilla cupcake frosted in baby pink buttercream deliciousness rolled in an outer layer of vibrant, playful sprinkles as I watch the people meander by outside my window. I must say, I am quite content.


I have found that it is so refreshing to live life from my own heartbeat. I believe I spent my first twenty-five years 'shoulding' on myself. Yes, I did say shoulding. Yes, it is an expression that I picked up during my time in counseling. And no, I am not afraid to say that I was, in fact, in counseling. Everybody needs a little help sometimes.

I have always heard that your 20's are a time period of figuring out some things. Getting comfortable in your own skin. For me, this decade has been precisely about that. Life is about balance, and more and more I have found that the 80/20 rule holds true. 80% of the time, it is important to stick to the 'should' of eating a plate of organic veggies and lean meat from Whole Foods and going to by Bikram Yoga class. But, the other 20% of the time I love the freedom to eat decadently and sit on a park bench, bask in the spring sunshine and watch people scurry along and squirrels nurse their winter's stock of nuts. And I love that I finally feel the freedom in that balance instead of punishing myself for never doing enough, for eating too much sugar, for not being so efficient enough today... blah ... blah-blah ... blah-blah.

Today was a damn good day. A bit chilly, but good. Worked a bit, enjoyed time with a dear friend in Brooklyn, went to a Russian nook for some traditional lamb dumplings and homemade puree of carrot-ginger soup. I took time to see today. To look at the architecture of the buildings as I walked. To take joy in children as they skipped down the street. To savor each rainbow-colored sprinkle on that cupcake. Enjoying the small things in life and cherishing them as life's delicacies is a beautiful thing. I might just go and pour myself a glass of wine.




2 comments:

  1. Hey Ash!

    I love this and agree so much! Life is too precious, we all need to slow down and savor those delicious moments! DAILY!!

    Life is an adventure! I'm excited that you are blogging about your's and I can't wait to follow along!

    Love ya girl!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you discovered Bethenny Frankel's new book "a Place of Yes" yet? Not sure if you're a fan of hers or not but pretty sure you can identify with it. You and I's "20's story" is pretty damn similar & this book has pretty much almost been therapy for me. I felt the same abour "eat. Pray. Love" :) check it out if you haven't! A lot of the points she makes are things you & I have already learned/figured out in the past few years but still a good read for reinforcement. Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete